Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.
Institutional Sales Associate - Equity Research
100 Wall Street, 20th Floor New York, New York 10005
Institutional Sales Associate – Equity Research
Our client, an institutional equity research provider with a 20-year history, is hiring an Institutional Sales Associate. The new member of the team will study research reports from equity analysts, communicate investment recommendations to the firm’ s existing buy-side clientele, and ultimately grow the company’ s account base. The individual must possess a passion for equity markets and be able to both articulate detailed research reports to and engage with professional investors (buy-side analysts and Portfolio Managers). This position is based in New York City (Manhattan).
Overview and Responsibilities
The primary responsibility of the new member of the team will be to communicate investment recommendations made in research reports to buy-side money managers to grow and retain account relationships. The client base consists of roughly 150 buy-side investment management firms with a total of roughly 500 individual clients.
The new hire will distill 15- to 30-page, company-specific equity research reports into compelling dialogue with hedge fund/mutual fund managers. Published research reports covers a range of investment styles including small cap equities, international equities, short selling, and restructurings (primarily spin-offs). Experience with institutional equity research is encouraged, but not necessary.
- Understanding of institutional-level equity research. Professional experience with equity research is ideal, but not required. Candidates who possesses an elementary understanding of investment analysis must demonstrate the potential to quickly advance their level of sophistication.
- Presentation skills. Beyond the ability to understand investment research, candidates must demonstrate the ability to present investment ideas concisely and persuasively. Candidates will be tested on this ability during their interview process (by giving pitches).
- Desire to expand distribution base. Candidate must possess an entrepreneurial mindset and seek opportunities to expand the Firm’ s presence and distribution within existing client companies. These efforts involve introducing the Firm’ s services and discussing investment ideas with investment professionals who are not familiar with the Firm’ s research. Candidate must demonstrate resourcefulness and persistence in their approaches (Phone calls, emails, Bloomberg, etc.)
- Organizational skills. This position requires that contact with the Firm’ s client base is prioritized based upon revenue per account, renewal date, cancellation risk, and upgrade potential. All contact with clients (phone calls, conference calls, analysts calls, emails, and meetings) must be logged into an internal database. Investment holdings of clients must be monitored for overlap and involvement with the Firm’ s investment ideas, and potential areas of client interest.
- A minimum of two years of professional experience. Transferrable research, sales, or account management experience will be considered, while experience interacting with institutional investors is a big plus. Otherwise, an understanding of investment strategies (long/short, event-driven, long-only, special situations, value/growth…) demonstrated by professional experience will further be seen as a big plus.